09 Jul “I NEED TO GET BACK ON THE MAP”
Moss Jackson, PhD
Psychologist and Success Coach
I was watching a TV series, Tennison, a program about a British detective. At some point when some characters were figuring what to do after screwing something up, someone made the comment, “We just need to get back on the map.”
Are you off track and looking for a way to get back on track, back on your right path? Eventually, most of us fall off our path and get lost for a while. It’s human nature! But some get lost and never get back on path. We all want to find the right life map and just move toward our goals in life: find true love, make our fortune, and find our way to the end of the rainbow. From my observations, only about twenty percent of us, the Life Navigators, really make it, stay on the map and stay true to our life purpose. The rest of us flounder and struggle to survive. For more information sign up for my blog series.
Are you on track and on the map? Or have you detoured off your map and into the swamps of failure, shame and chaos? Slippage is typical, but the aim in navigating a successful life is to get back on course as soon as possible. Humans can only go without oxygen for about four minutes and then brain damage and death follow. Likewise, the longer you are “off the map,” the greater the likelihood that you will slip from what is important and fall into the abyss of struggle and suffering.
Our life maps help to keep us on track and moving toward our goals. How can we stay on track and get on with our lives? Do you even have a life map to follow? If you would like to move from surviving life to thriving in life, you might want to create a Navigating for Life Roadmap to keep you focused and on track. Here is how it works:
- Decide what is important.
- *Create a future vision to live into. This is your ultimate destination.
- Set specific goals, desires or wishes in the important areas of your life: relationships, career, health, finances, etc.
- For each goal, choose 3 actions that will move you powerfully toward these goals.
- Each day, take one of these actions and do not stop until you succeed.
- If you improve only one percent a day, in one year you will have made over a 3000% ROI on your efforts!!!
- The key is to take one small action a day and keep doing it. After a couple of weeks of consistent action, add another small action.
- If you fall off the track, practice “Bouncing Back” and getting back on track ASAP!
- Practice some daily self-compassion when you are struggling and stop beating yourself up.
If you want to learn more about getting back on track and designing a life map, order my book “Navigating for Success“.